On loan from the Bluebell Railway Fletcher Jennings No.3 Captain Baxter stands at Minehead on 28th.June ready for a Thomas event.
Fletcher, Jennings & Co. was an engineering company at Lowca near Whitehaven, Cumbria, England. Fletcher and Jennings took over the business of Tulk and Ley in 1857. From then, until 1884, the company concentrated on four and six-coupled industrial tank locomotives, although other goods such as bridge girders, and blast-furnace shells for the burgeoning local iron industry, were also produced. By then nearly two hundred locomotives had been built and the company acquired limited liability as Lowca Engineering Company Ltd. It might be thought that "Lowca" is a play on the word "loco" but, in fact, it refers to the village where the factory was established in 1800.
In 1905, the name changed again to the New Lowca Engineering Company Ltd. but it was short-lived. Orders had fallen and, after a disastrous fire in 1912 all production ceased, the company being finally wound up in 1927.
Captain Baxter is an 0-4-0 Dorking Greystone Lime Company Engine. He was built by Fletcher Jennings in 1877 and spent his working life at the Dorking Greystone Limeworks at Betchworth Station.
All being well we will be joining Tiff's gathering in Dudley tomorrow, hopefully we may get the chance to meet a few of you U.K.Shutterchancers there as well.
|camera||Canon PowerShot G10|
|exposure mode||program mode|