Tyneham got its first public telephone kiosk during the winter of 1929. Before this date the villagers would keep in touch with the outside world by telegram or later by using the telephone in the back room of the Post Office. In the early 1980’s, prolonged protest and campaigning resulted in the public being granted increased access to the Army Ranges. In 1983 the kiosk was restored as part of a massive clear up programme but with the incorrect K1 roof decoration. During the filming of ‘Comrades’ in 1985 an accident resulted in the kiosk being completely destroyed. The K1 Mark 236 at Tyneham today is the replacement bought by the film company.