The first recorded rector of the parish began his ministry in 1250, the buildings themselves date from Saxon times. The north aisle has a font of Saxon origins, and Norman pillars which may well rest on Saxon foundations. It also has a Norman window at the west end. The nave of the church is of medieval design (about 1350), and in the eighteenth century contained three galleries which were removed during the nineteenth century restoration. There was also a medieval chancel, and north and south aisles - all smaller than they are today. The tower was built in the seventeenth century, housing four of its six bells. The Victorians were great church builders and developers, and their work at St Lawrence included doubling the width of the north aisle to commemorate the bicentenary of the Eyam Plague in 1868. Work done over the next twenty years included a new porch, roof, vestries and clerestory windows (on the south side of the nave), and the renovation of the east end and south aisle.
|exposure mode||program mode|