KING EDWARD VII STATUE
In 1910, the Birmingham Mail launched an appeal to erect a statue to Edward VII, in order to commemorate his reign. Over £5,000 was quickly raised and an area was allocated within Birmingham Children's Hospital for its location. The statue was unveiled in Victoria Square on St George's Day, 23 April 1913 by Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll. It stood next to a statue of Queen Victoria. However, soon afterwards these statues were criticised as being of "ill matched designs". The statue of Edward VII was eventually moved to Highgate Park when Victoria Square was remodelled in 1951. Following successful lobbying by The Victorian Society, Birmingham City Council agreed to restore the statue and resite it back in the city centre. After restoration by Cliveden Conservation in Bath, starting in 2009, a new sceptre and orb capital were made and the three bronzes (one representing Peace, one representing Education and Progress and the other of St George slaying the dragon beneath a large stylised crown) were also re-made and the whole assembly reunited and erected on the original plinth, outside Baskerville House in Centenary Square.
|exposure mode||program mode|