St.Bega’s church stands by the shore of Bassenthwaite Lake on the Mire house estate. The present building dates from pre-Norman times. The font is dated about 1300 and has an octagonal lead-lined bowl. The 14th century lead crucifix hanging over the pulpit is similar to one in St. Albans Cathedral. There is a wrought iron hourglass used to time sermons. Historical families of the area including the Speddings of Mirehouse are remembered in various tablets and windows. Lord Alfred Tennyson stayed at Mirehouse in 1835 while he was writing his poem ‘Morte D’Arthur’ and St Bega’s Church inspired the opening lines:
‘…to a chapel nigh the field,
A broken chancel with a broken cross,
That stood on a dark straight of barren land,’.
|exposure mode||program mode|