Mirehouse is a 17th-century house to the north of Keswick in Cumbria, at the foot of Dodd, near Bassenthwaite Lake. Mirehouse was built in 1666 by Charles Stanley, 8th Earl of Derby, who sold it in 1688 to his agent, Roger Greg. The Greg family and then the Storys owned the estate until 1802 when it was given by Thomas Story to John Spedding. The Spedding family have owned Mirehouse ever since. The Speddings have enlarged the house several times, with the last major changes occurring in the 1960’s, when extensive renovation work was carried out, and in the 1980’s, when the ground floor and grounds were opened to the public, but sadly the house was not open on the day of our visit.
|exposure mode||program mode|