Ex SR 4-6-2 “West Country” Class Pacific No.34028 Eddystone stands at Norden after arriving from Swanage with a late morning passenger train. This was the only train to arrive with the locomotive tender first while we were there. No 21C128 Eddystone was built at Brighton Works by the Southern Railway in April, 1946 and went straight into traffic from Ramsgate where it took up regular duties on the Kent Coast services to Victoria and Cannon Street. Following the nationalisation of the railways in 1948, Eddystone was renumbered 34028 and was re-allocated to Exmouth Junction. It soon appeared on that depot's top-link duties such as the Atlantic Coast Express and the Devon Belle which it worked as far as Salisbury. Eddystone was one of the first Bulleid light pacifics to be rebuilt in 1958 and was then transferred to Bournemouth where it worked services over the main line betweeen Weymouth and Waterloo. It was also a regular performer on the Somerset and Dorset route to Bath. During this period it was often photographed on the most famous of the S & D trains, the Pines Express. In 1962 it was transferred to Eastleigh and in April of the following year it worked a Southampton FA Cup special through to Birmingham Snow Hill. In 1964 Eddystone had the dubious honour of being the first rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific to be withdrawn. Eddystone is owned by Southern Locomotives Ltd and has been running regularly on the Swanage Railway since 1999.
|exposure mode||program mode|