Looking in the opposite direction to yesterdays image the locks continue away up the hill, the route we took for the next three photographs. The flight was opened in December 1799 on the Warwick and Birmingham Canal. In 1929, the canal was renamed as the Grand Union Canal (on unification of a number of operators) and the decision was made to widen the Hatton stretch. In order to accommodate traders with heavy cargoes of coal, sugar, tea and spices up the flight, the locks were widened to 14 feet (4.3 m) – allowing navigation by industrial boats or two single narrow boats. The widening was completed in the mid-1930s using a work force of 1,000, and the revolutionary concrete lock system was opened by Prince George, Duke of Kent.
|exposure mode||program mode|