In NW Leicestershire, only about 20 minutes drive from us, lies the Staunton Harold Estate. Located in a green valley with two lakes it includes: the house, church, estate cottages and stables. The stables have been converted and are now known as the Ferrers Centre of Arts and Crafts, which comprise of craft shops, workshops, galleries and tearooms.
William the Conqueror gave the land to Henry de Ferraris, who then leased it to Harold, a Saxon from Nottinghamshire. Harold moved here and adopted the name Staunton, meaning stony settlement. In 1423 the estate was passed by marriage to the Shirley’s, a distinguished Derbyshire family.
|exposure mode||program mode|