Although Groby (pronounced Grooby) village is noted in the Domesday Book, there is no mention of a lake. The earliest recorded reference is an "Inquisition Post Mortem" dated 1297, which refers to two pools in Groby, one of which must have been Groby Pool. In fact there is evidence of a mill associated with Groby Pool in every century thereafter, the last being a saw mill located in Sheet Hedges Wood which closed in the early 20th century.
In fact, considerable debate has arisen about whether it should be regarded as a 'natural' or man-made lake, however, it cannot be disputed that Groby Pool has been the site of a lake for many centuries.
|exposure mode||program mode|