The Doric Temple
Built c.1760 this is one of two copies of the Temple of Hephaistos in Athens by James 'Athenian' Stuart. The first version was commissioned by Hagley Hall In Worcestershire in 1758, and is believed to be the first accurate revived Greek Doric Temple in Europe. The Doric Temple was originally the entrance to the kitchen garden but the demolition of the garden in 1805 left it isolated. Its design is based on the temple of Hephaistos which crowns a hill in Athens and was surrounded by a garden.
The temple was built as the portico leading to the walled garden, since demolished. The sculptures it contained were sold in 1842. In the 1960s repairs were made to the roof, and the lower portions of the columns replaced with White Hollington stone.
|exposure mode||program mode|