When Rydal Chapel became a Parish Church with its own Vicar, the new foundation took a large slice out of the old parish (Grasmere), though customary dues and tithes continued to be paid to the Rector of Grasmere until 1870. Rydal continued with its own Vicar until 1943 when the benefice was combined with Ambleside. The separate benefice of Rydal was re-established in 1963 when Rydal Hall became the Carlisle Diocesan Conference and Retreat House with the new Priest-in-Charge of Rydal Church being also Warden of Rydal Hall. The arrangement continued until 2003 when the Diocese appointed a general manager at Rydal Hall. A Vicar was again appointed for Rydal Church, who also serves as Chaplain of Rydal Hall and Rector of Grasmere.