Tyneham is Dorset's famous ‘lost’ village. In November 1943 notice was given to the villagers that they would be required to leave within 28 days as the area was needed for forces’ training. On 17th December 1943 the last villagers left believing that one day they would be able to return. Sadly this was never to happen. After seven decades, the roofless shells of a post office, farmhouses, a rectory and cottages offer passing curious walkers and visitors a glimpse of the life of a long-departed community.