The high altar is of white alabaster. The beautifully carved lime-wood statues represent the four Evangelists, the four Doctors, the four Saints of Northern England and the four chief Archangels. The church closed when the House was demolished, but after the National Trust took over it opened again in 1954. The National Coal Board helped with major repairs in 1984-5 after mining subsidence occurred. A massive concrete raft was placed under the chancel.